Breakfast Grilled Cheese
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 breakfast sausages, casings removed – (can be pre-cooked or last night’s bbq left overs)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. half-and-half
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Chopped chives
- 4 slices of bread
1 – 2 tbsp of Cian’s Mustard (I like Honey Hot)
- 2/3 c. shredded Cheddar
- 2 tbsp. butter, divided ***
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add sausage and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain fat, remove from skillet and clean skillet.
- Whisk together eggs and half-and-half; add egg mixture to skillet. Gently stir eggs using a wooden spoon or spatula and cook until they just begin to set. Season with salt and pepper and stir in chives. Remove eggs from skillet and wipe skillet clean.
- Spread your choice of Cian’s mustard onto two bread slices, followed by the sausage, eggs, and cheese. Top with remaining two slices bread.
- Return skillet to medium-low heat and add butter. When the butter begins to foam, add sandwiches. Cover the pan with a large lid (to help melt the cheese) and cook until bread is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the cheese has melted and both sides of bread are golden, about 2 minutes more. Slice and serve immediately.
NOTE: Mayo can be used in place of butter to grill the sandwich. If using mayo, prior to step 3 spread mayo onto the outside of the bread slices. Follow with the remaining directions, omitting the use of butter in the skillet.